Disclaimer: This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the grantee’s own and do not represent the Teachers for Global Classrooms Program, IREX or the U.S. Department of State.



Monday, July 15, 2013

Running in Rio

After learning I was off to Brazil, and was planning on extending my trip, I investigated to see if there were any organized runs in the cities and dates I would be there.  Great news!  The Rio Marathon, the largest marathon in Brazil, was running on my last day in Brazil!  I registered for the half marathon (which helped to keep me motivated during my travels!).

Unfortunately I did most of my running in Taguatinga on a treadmill, but it was great to get outside for some runs.  It was fun to pass my time running while people watching at the park, and looking forward to fresh coconut water.  There are all types of people out at the park I went to in Brasilia - walkers, runners, cyclists and even rollerbladers.  People wore a variety of outfits from running wear we would see in the states, to men wearing shorts similar to speedos, and women walking in bikini tops, and white socks that went to mid calf.  Many individuals had on shirts from various running clubs and race shirts. While out there I wondered how many were training for a race, maybe the marathon, or if any were training or thinking about the Brazil 135.  (Maybe some of the WDR's should check out the Brazil 135!)

There are lots of people who are out at the parks on the weekends running, and even during the week.  Many parks have equipment (both for strength and cardio) for the community to use instead of people heading to the gym.  These were in most cities I visited.

This park was in Brasilia.

This was the park in Rio!  Great view of the bay and Sugar Loaf!

Running once we arrived in Salvador became challenging due to the humidity.  In my mind, I compared the humidity to a West Virginia and Nebraska summer combined.  After running two miles, it was if I was in the Bikram Yoga room!  Kept hoping that the half in Rio would be better than the short runs in Salvador.  They were beautiful runs though along the coast!

Views from a run in Salvador.


Running in Rio was wonderful!  There were over 61 countries represented during the marathon weekend events (half, full and family 5k),  20,000 plus participants, with an expected 50,000 spectators!  Packet pickup had an international counter with volunteers who spoke a variety of languages to assist those who did not know Portuguese!  It was much appreciated.

Showing the course!


The swag we received!  Yes, they even gave us pasta, unfortunately I couldn't cook it up!


Pre-race sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean...







The half started about here.  One difference of this race, was the kilometers count down to let us know  how far we have to run still, not how fare we have gone.  It was a nice change, and seemed to help with the mental part of the run!  Glad I had my Garmin so I didn't have to constantly do math while converting kilometers to miles while running!


Local fisherman bringing in his catch as we began the race.



Views of the upcoming beaches.


One of the favelas



Coming into Copacabana Beach




These are the water cups (equivalent of about 6 ounces) at the aide stations.  More water than needed!   There were very few trash cans around, so there was plastic everywhere, with someone sweeping up the trash! 


Then at a separate aide station was the gatorade pouches.  The volunteer looked at me very strange when I took this picture.  So it is like a pillow pack and is about 3-4 inches each direction, that you rip open a corner to drink.  I watched a runner step on a pouch and gatorade shot out at other runners.

Near the finish line with Sugar Loaf in the background...


Finish area was lined with numerous running club tents, lots of people and energy to keep one moving!


Finish line after I crossed.  Thought it would be in bad form to stop in front of finish line to take a pic!


After you cross then you go to another location to pick up your medal.




Tina and I after the race!


As we were leaving...yes a rooster on a leash!  Had to take a pic!


Choices, choices...coconut water or beer sitting on Copacabana Beach post race!





Great way to end my last day in Brazil...half marathon then the beach!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment