Disclaimer: This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the grantee’s own and do not represent the Teachers for Global Classrooms Program, IREX or the U.S. Department of State.



Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Grateful!

In the short time I have been here, I have begun to realize the numerous things I take for granted in the US as well as the things I am so grateful for currently!  I realize some of these may sound silly, but these are things I am thinking of regularly : 
- This experience - I am so grateful to be having this experience with TGC and all of the people I
          am meeting.
- Family & friends - I am thinking of of you daily.
- Water - being able to drink water out of the tap, and not purchasing bottled water daily and at 
          restaurants.
- To go cups - I realize this sounds silly, but living in a rushed society, I want to bring my caffeine 
          with me.  I did find mini to go cups today at the university. (See picture below)
  - Understanding the cultural rules of society & and of the roads (glad I am not driving here)
- Bikram Yoga - this may sound silly, but I attended a Hatha yoga class in Portuguese. In Bikram, 
          students know which posture is next, in the class I took students had to rely on the instructor, 
          which was difficult not knowing the language.  Also, I decided I do like the heated room (yoga 
          friends you may need to remind me of this from time to time).
- Running outdoors - In my current hotel, if I am going to run when it is dark, I need to do so on 
          the treadmill for safety reasons.  The great outdoors (dirt or pavement) is much nicer, but safety 
          is first.
- Washer & dryer - I can send some laundry out at my hotel, but I'm unsure how they will wash
            items - so I am hand washing some clothes and hanging them dry.
- Technology - for someone who has fought using technology, besides for the internet, e-mail & 
          basic cell phone, until about the last year, I have decided it is now my friend.  Skype, e-mail, and 
          even Facebook (I do hate to say it), has helped me stay connected to friends and family in the
           states.
- Animals - the longer I am here, the more stray or street animals I am seeing.  This makes me so 
          sad!  I want to help them, if at home some would've been picked up and brought to somewhere
          safe if at all possible.  The only thing that makes me feel better is that many of the animals, do
           not appear under nourished.  
- Safety - as I am in an unfamiliar city, and walking to the school on my own during the daylight 
          ours, I am on hyper alert.  Trying to make eye contact with people, and pay attention to my 
          surroundings more than I would back home.  I was informed by individuals at the American\
          Embassy to not venture outside at dark on foot, so some activities are limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment